REGIONAL Victoria will remain in lockdown after a COVID-19 case was reported in Mildura.
Premier Daniel Andrews said on Sunday it was not the day to announce parts of regional Victoria would be released early from the state's snap five-day lockdown.
When announcing the lockdown on Thursday Mr Andrews had suggested parts of regional Victoria would possibly be released from lockdown earlier, if the outbreak tracked the right way.
Victoria reported 16 new cases of COVID-19 from community transmission in the 24 hours to Sunday, all linked to existing outbreaks.
Read also: Virus support doesn't cut the mustard
In his Sunday press conference Mr Andrews said it was still too soon to know if the state would be released from lockdown as planned on Tuesday night.
He said Mildura, in far north western Victoria, had reported a positive COVID-19 case.
"It is I'm afraid not the day for us to be announcing parts of regional Victoria being let out of this lockdown, or operating under different rules," Mr Andrews said.
"We take no joy from the fact that there was a case in Mildura today
"That just confirms I think for all of us ... that this moves quick. A problem anywhere, becomes a problem everywhere unless you've got rules on that are hard and fast."
Mr Andrews thanked every Victorian isolating after visiting exposure sites.
Read also: No vaccine target, outbreak numbers grow.
"You're playing a really important part in keeping the rest of us safe," Mr Andrews said.
"The sacrifices you're making, the contributions your making, is about avoiding lockdowns in every part of our country."
Mr Andrews continued to urge anyone with any symptoms to come forward for COVID-19 testing.
SIXTEEN new community COVID-19 cases have been reported in Victoria from the previous 24 hours, as the state enters its third day of a snap lockdown.
It's a small drop from Saturday, when the state reported 19 new cases, 18 of which had been infectious in the community.
Sunday's figure brings the outbreak's total to 59. All new cases are linked to the current outbreaks.
Two new COVID-19 cases were reported in hotel quarantine.
Victorians have been warned the state's lockdown may last longer than the initially-announced five days, depending on case numbers and exposure sites.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said on Saturday that Victorians needed to ready themselves for what might emerge on Sunday and Monday.
Victorians have been urged to check COVID-19 exposure sites, with authorities saying it was the most important thing they could do.
The Department of Health now lists more than 200 exposure sites, including several on Phillip Island, and the Mornington and Bellarine peninsulas.
Exposure sites are also scattered throughout Melbourne, stretching into regional Victorian areas such as Ballan and the Bacchus Marsh College bus interchange.
On Saturday about 10,000 close primary contacts of positive cases were in isolation.
A total 53,283 COVID-19 tests were received in the 24 hours to midnight.
A total of 16,751 vaccine doses were administered.
A full list of exposure sites is available on the Department of Health website.
The story Regional Victoria to remain in lockdown as COVID-19 case in Mildura reported first appeared on Bendigo Advertiser.