Kieran McGrath, McGrath Rodwells Livestock, said some very nice pens of steers were offered and sold to a cheaper trend compared to the last’s sale, but at comparable rates to other store cattle sales held recently.
Young steers sold from $770 to the older steers of 14 months sold to a top of $1310 for some Angus steers, weighing 427 kilograms live weight.
Mr McGrath said the larger offering of cows and calves sold to spirited competition with many prospective buyers going home without any cattle. These units sold for $1520 to a top of $2310 for a pen of nine Angus cows, five to six years-old, with nine Angus calves at-foot to seven weeks.
A big yarding of joined females was presented to the gallery with one consignment of 57 Red Angus and Angus cows offered that were in store condition and pregnancy tested in calf (PTIC) to Red Angus bulls, three to five months. Mr McGrath said these cows had been on agistment in the Kyneton district for three weeks prior to the sale having been consigned from Queensland drought origins.They sold for $1000-$1200.
The smallest heifer offering for nearly eight months sold to great competition making to a top of $1160 for Angus bred cattle twice, which weighed 300kg.
Some 70 buyers registered for the sale and were from the local districts as well as Bendigo, Ballarat, Charlton, Euroa, Inglewood, Kilmore and Geelong. There was also one feedlot order and two wholesale butchers in attendance.
Indicative prices for steers:
- A/c G Thiele, Angus steers, 427kg made $1310 or 307c/kg
- A/c Gleats, Angus steers, 400kg made $1240 or 310c/kg
- A/c D&L Gordon, “Naracoo”, Angus steers made $1210.00 or 313c/kg
- A/c East Trentham, Angus steers, 293kg, made $1000 or 341c/kg
For cows and calves:
- A/c Lanox, Angus cows 5-6 years with calves at foot by Angus bull to 7 weeks, cows redepast Angus bull for 1 month sold for $2310
- A/c Crystal Springs, Angus heifers 2 years with calves at foot 3/5 months by Limousin and Angus bulls PTIC back to Angus bulls sold for $2300
For joined cows
- A/c Hillview, Poll Hereford cows, 6/8 years PTIC to Angus bulls to calve mid august on for 47 days sold for $1700
- A/c Rockbank, Red Angus and Angus cows, 8/9 years store condition PTIC to Red Angus bulls 3 to 5 months sold from $1000 to $1200
- A/c East Trentham, Angus heifers, 330kg made $1160 or 351c/kg
- A/c Dinwoodie, Angus heifers, 300kg made $1160 or 386c/kg
- A/c Fellcroft, Angus/Charolais cross heifers, 296 kg or 381c/kg
Next Kyneton Store cattle sale will be on August 30, 11am start.