TREVENSON Park’s ability to produce champions is indisputable.
With a list of group one winners having ridden to glory from its stables, not to mention notable stallions and brood mares, the thoroughbred breeding and rearing complex has left its mark on the industry.
Bought as a sheep grazing property in 1961, the late Ed Barty envisaged the 347 hectare Maldon property’s potential and began converting it into a horse stud.
In the decades since it has been home to a select brand of broodmares and their progeny, as well as bred and reared stud stock and housed commercial stallions.
Trevenson Park’s thoroughbred facilities are in good condition and include four stable sheds, housing 34 looseboxes, with wash downs, feed rooms, tack rooms, two covered lunging rings, foaling down stables, veterinary inspection covered horse crush, staff amenities and four separate stallion boxes with adjoining day yards.
Bought by brother Mac Barty and his son John in 2001, the stud has been scaled back to about seven to 10 mares, accompanying a scattering of steers, stud and first-cross flocks and cereal cropping.
The stud Merino flock is run at the Barty’s neighbouring property, with a flock of about 900 Merinos joined for first-cross lamb production and a Merino wether flock held at Trevenson Park.
Run “fairly conservatively”, according to John, there is plenty of room for an increase in flock numbers.
This year about 28ha of triticale and oats have been sown in the northern end of the property.
The property provides an excellent blend of red volcanic and red granite sandy loams, gently undulating, with areas of attractive creek flats. It is well drained, with small areas of rocky outcrops and a number of existing lucerne pastures.
Trevenson Park’s two megalitre licence out of the Loddon river is one of its biggest assets and has been a “lifesaver”, according to John.
Pumped a couple of kilometres from the river it is pushed into tanks located on the property’s highest point and then gravitates to troughs located in each paddock.
“It’s a great set-up; some of the dams have struggled a bit, but with the water out of the river, it gives you a really good certainty,” John said.
Set at the end of a poplar-lined driveway, Trevenson Park homestead is an attractive example of late Victorian rural architecture, wit the bulk of the homestead dating from 1890. A portion of the original stone cottage, circa 1860, remains on the western side.
The home is in original condition, comprising five main rooms, with four-metre ceilings, ornate plaster work and marble fireplaces, all leading off a central hallway.
The homestead is set in a garden and features a separate red brick, gabled two-car garage.
The property also contains a three-bedroom manager’s residence and an adjoining semi-self contained BV flat.
Other sheds include machinery, hay and chemical, as well as six silos and a two-stand shearing shed.
Expressions of interest close October 29.
Don't miss Stock & Land, October 16, for full Spring Property Special