OPPPONENTS of the Sugarloaf Pipeline have dropped charges against five Melbourne Water workers.
In the Seymour Magistrates’ Court last week, additional charges laid against one worker by a landowner supported by Plug the Pipe were “mentioned”. These charges, Melbourne Water said, were for entering a Yea property on 15 April 2009 to commence fencing and on 21 April to continue construction works.
The trespass charges against five Melbourne Water workers and contractors who accessed two properties under Section 133 of the Water Act to carry out investigative works on 24 September 2008 and 16 January 2009 were withdrawn.
Melbourne Water Project Director Rod Clifford said he was pleased Plug the Pipe supporters had finally accepted the magistrate's decision and had dropped teh charges.
“But it is extremely disappointing that they want to victimise another individual worker," he added.
Mr Clifford said he was confident that the new charges laid had no legal foundation.
“This worker was also acting lawfully, both to the letter and in the spirit of the Water Act, and these rights have already been upheld in the Magistrates’ Court,” he said.
The new charges are due back in Seymour Magistrates’ Court on December 8, 9 and 10.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.