LONGFORD House built circa 1834 is known as one of Tasmania’s finest colonial homes. When advertised for sale in The Examiner newspaper in November 1854 it was described as, “all that noble mansion, domain and garden, situated in the suburbs of Longford and known as Longford House.
The edifice is handsome, extensive and commodious, and is in thorough repair, with every accommodation of offices, outhouses, prolific garden, and a well of the purest water.”
The house then, as now, is offered for sale with the original 8.9 hectares of land, comprising 2.2 hectares of parks and garden, an orchard, barn and 6.7 hectares of meadow, divided into several paddocks.
The estate is completely surrounded by hawthorn hedges, ageing white gums and English oaks.
Longford House and its gardens have been lovingly maintained and offer a rare opportunity to participate in her continuing history.
Longford House facing north-east is a perfect example of a gracious Georgian home in an idyllic garden setting.
Named after the long ford that traverses the confluence of the South Esk and Macquarie Rivers, the historic village of Longford was established early in the settlement of Tasmania – 1833.
Its close proximity to the city of Launceston, the fertile soils of the surrounding Norfolk Plains and the abundance of water combine to create the English landscape for which Longford has become so fondly admired.