THE Victorian Government has announced it will be holding a series of community workshops in autumn to seek local input into the development of new Wild Dog Management Zone Work Plan.
Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said the work plans were a key part of the Coalition Government's Action Plan for Managing Wild Dogs in Victoria launched in December last year.
"As part of the action plan, local area work plans will be developed for each of the 15 wild dog management zones in East Gippsland and North East Victoria," he said.
"The work plans will specify operational targets on private and public land and will ensure a co-ordinated, integrated approach to wild dog management.
"Local communities will be provided an opportunity to contribute their knowledge and help guide the direction of their area's plan during workshops in March and April.
"The workshops will also provide an opportunity for landholders to find out more about Community Wild Dog Control Groups and will help landholders complete native vegetation clearance consent forms for protecting dog fencing on public-private land boundaries."
Mr Walsh said on top of increasing the effectiveness of trapping, the Action Plan for Managing Wild Dogs in Victoria also included an increase in the number of baits laid to almost 20,000 this year, commitments to improve access to fresh 1080 baits and the removal of red tape hindering control efforts.
"Industry and government need to work together to reduce the impacts of wild dogs, using all available tools including trapping, baiting, shooting, exclusion fencing and good animal husbandry," he said.
The announcement comes as the Victorian Fox and Wild Dog Bounty resumes next week (March 3).
A bounty of $10 is rewarded for each fox killed and $100 for each wild dog killed, subject to conditions.
Workshop times and venues:
* March 4 Buchan/Gelantipy Buchan Caves Guide Hall 10am-12pm
* March 4 Buchan/Gelantipy Gelantipy Hall 1.30-3.30pm
* March 7 Orbost/Cann River DEPI Orbost 10am-12pm
* March 7 Orbost/Cann River DEPI Cann River 1.30-3.30pm
* March 24 Heyfield/Licola/Maffra DEPI Heyfield 10am-12pm
* March 24 Heyfield/Licola/Maffra Licola CFA 1.30-3.30pm
* March 31 Omeo/Swifts Ck/Ensay/Benambra Ensay CFA 10am-12pm
* March 31 Omeo/Swifts Ck/Ensay/Benambra Swifts Ck CFA 1.30-3.30pm
* April 1 Omeo/Swifts Ck/Ensay/Benambra Omeo CFA 10am-12pm
* April 1 Omeo/Swifts Ck/Ensay/Benambra Benambra CFA 1.30-3.30pm
* April 2 Dargo/Bairnsdale Glenaladale Hall 10am-12pm
* April 2 Dargo/Bairnsdale DEPI Dargo 1.30-3.30pm
* April 17 Gembrook/Noojee/Erica DEPI Erica 10am-12pm
* April 22 Bonang/Bendoc/Tubbut/Deddick Tubbut Hall 10am-12pm
* April 22 Bonang/Bendoc/Tubbut/Deddick DEPI Bendoc 2-4pm
* April 23 Bonang/Bendoc/Tubbut/Deddick Bonang Hall 10am-12pm
North East Victoria
* March 17 Corryong DEPI Corryong 1.30-3.30pm
* March 18 Burrowye/Granya/Walwa Walwa Memorial Hall 10am-12pm
* March 18 Burrowye/Granya/Walwa Granya Hall 1.30-3.30pm
* March 19 Mitta Mitta Sandy Creek Mitta Mitta CFA 10am-12pm
* March 19 Tallangatta Tallangatta Valley Golf Club 1.30-3.30pm
* April 8 Ovens Myrtleford Savoy Club 10am-12pm
* April 8 Whitfield Whitfield Hall 1.30-3.30pm
* April 9 Alexandra Alexandra Lawn Tennis Club 10am-12pm
* April 9 Mansfield DEPI Mansfield 1.30-3.30pm